A Real Way Of Making Money On The Internet.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Insurance Claim

Most Harley riders in South Africa have no experience of dealing with insurance claims on repairing damaged bikes (they don't drop their precious investments). However, occasionally riders like me, who use their Harleys as their basic transport, will end up claiming for damage.

No, I didn't fall, or even drop my bike. It was parked in the car park of a factory I was doing accounts consultancy work for. I was called out of the office to the car park, and found that their Hyster driver had ridden into the back of my Chrome & Blue Beauty, buckling the back mudguard into the tyre & knocking it over on the right-hand side. No biggie, you say. Hunh!!


I had to go to the local police station and fill in an accident report (to get a case number for the insurance). notify my insurance company, fill in their claim form, and show their claims inspector the damage for confirmation. Who are my insurers. They were a broker firm that was bought out by the international AON Insurance group. (Yes, the same one you see on Lewis Hamilton's McLaren in Formula 1, and the Manchester United Football Team. Apparently Hamilton needs insurance more than Alonso at Ferrari).


Also included was a visit to my local Harley dealership to get a quote for repairing the damage. 



Note the date - 1st June 2012

All the replacement parts required were available..........except the blue mudguard. This had to be ordered from Milwaukee, to match the original colour. After many visits, and phone calls, the mudguard arrived on the 7th of September 2012. SHEESH!!!! 

The bike went into the dealership on Tuesday 11th September, and I fetched it on Monday 17th September. I had to pay my excess (5% - R1198.00) & my delightful Dyna is back - rides & sounds great!! Insurance people all very pleasant & competent, as were all my friends at the Harley-Davidson dealership.

The only issue was riding a damaged bike for more than 3 months!!

Love my wife and my Harley!!





No comments:

Post a Comment